From:
Chloe Macy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 16:35:43 -0400

This is getting to be too big.  Gluten in cars, gluten in soap, gluten
in building materials, pet foods, swimming pools, etc...I've lived with
this disease my entire life, and never really gave any thought to
gluten in the environment, unless it was on my plate.

Is there ANY proof that we are being harmed by gluten that is NOT
being taken in by mouth?  I'm worried about the consequences of
manufacturers getting the wrong message about what is and what is
not safe for celiacs.  I'm also afraid of manufacturer's black-lining
the celiac community.  Are we opening lines of communication,
or are we closing doors?  On quite a few occasions, I have spoken to
company product reps (I've been in the natural foods business for over 5
years) researching a product for a customer, or for a shopping list, and
have come up against some resistance.  Some reps are pretty easy going,
some-like people, can get quite defensive.  Personal friends on the
inside loop at companies have told me that the issue of product
liability is very real. So are harassing phone calls from customers
threatening to "go to the media/their supervisors/their friends and
family".

So what to do in the meantime?  How about organizing the various
support groups and organizations?  How about all of us getting on "the
same page"  (ie: the buckwheat/amaranth/vinegar/etc...question)?
How about some concrete evidence that various types of gluten exposure
actually cause harm or damage to us?  And, until P and G, Kraft, or any
of the other companies that take a defensive stance on product info
decide otherwise: JUST AVOID THEIR PRODUCTS!!  There are tens, if not
hundreds of alternatives on the market to most products available.
And, if you aren't able to find a suitable alternative, do without it
(unless it's a life or death thing, of course).