From:
Michael S. Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:17:18 -0400

This posting is generated, in part, by yesterday's post regarding the
symptoms of lymphoma.  As I read the list of symptoms, I became rather
anxious, as some of them are part of my everyday life.  Examples:  feeling
of pressure under the lower rib cage, especially on the left side; feeling
of general tightness in upper-middle abdomen, headaches (all my life), nasal
stuffiness (presumably due to allergies), etc.  I am about to be 37 (male)
and was diagnosed in April.  I started the diet in June, so I have been
allegedly gluten-free for a little over 3 months.  I don't feel much
different, but then I never really felt badly in the first place.  In the
process of diagnosis I had quite a few tests, including blood work and a
liver biopsy.  Everything pointed to CD.  So my questions, in light of
yesterday's post are these:  (1) Are such symptoms common with other
celiacs, even in the absence of lymphoma?   (2) How long do such symptoms
linger after removing gluten from the diet?  (3) What other explanations
might there be for these ongoing symptoms?  And (4) what have your
physicians had to say when confronted with these, and other, symptoms?  I
guess what I'm really trying to get a better handle on is this:  Should I
get overly concerned, or am I just a "normal" celiac?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

Michael S. Young
Jacksonville, Florida