From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:52:54 -0500

wOW! DID THE DR NAIL IT!  Yesterday I asked if others had a reaction to
gasoline and perfumes.....My md who is also a homeopath sometimes asks
"weird" questions, but is invariably right on the money [I wouldn't have
kept going to him for 25 years otherwise!]  He thought I was just wheat
allergic until we got into this very deep, involved conversation when he
asked me my reactgion to gasoline and perfumes.

Well in less than 24 hrs of that post, I received OVER FORTY RESPONSES,
Of which only three said that they were not bothered by them.
Statistically, that is a virtual one hundred percent positive response!
Some went a step further and said they were bothered by most, if not all
chemicals.  Many mentioned staying in the car and rolling up the windows
as they got gas.  They did not use self- serve.  Hmmmmm.  I remembered
that as a child, I used to get violently nauseaous when we had to walk
thru the tire deptartment to get to the mail shopping area of a
Montgomery Ward store.  Had to hold my breath or feel as tho I would
lose my supper.

Just a few perfumes were mentioned as NOT causing a reaction...chloe,
Dune, Coca and one by Dior. Tiffany for Men did not seem to cause
problems.    Universally, Opium was mentioned as a major source of
headaches and nausea.

As to why this happens, it shouldn't really be surprising.  Perfumes are
alchol based....if vanilla extracts can cause problems.......I guess we
will have to start checking if perfumes are gf.

Petroleum products have addtives, many of which contain alchol.

To the three who said they were not bothered....lucky you...have
sympathy for the rest of us!

Ann