From:
Charles Barnard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:48:56 +0200
Thank you all for your help.

I implemented all Mary Wolden's suggested changes. While doing that I
noticed I'm using AGP 2X. I changed that to AGP 1X. (Since my motherboard
only runs at 66MHz, I thought the 2X might cause a problem)

My system is no longer freezing, so one or more of the changes did the
trick.

Enjoy the weekend
Charles

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:38:00 -0500
From:    Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: TNT2 system freezing often

From: Charles Barnard: Subject: [PCBUILD] TNT2 system freezing often

> Hi
>
> I would be very glad if you could give me advice.
>
> My system looks as follows :
>  - Windows 98
>  - Sniper 2 (TNT2) manufactured by Powercolor
>  - Gigabyte 440LX motherboard (66MHz FSB) with 128MB of RAM
>  - Intel Celeron 466MHz
>  - DirectX7a
>  - latest Powercolor drivers (although I have tried all nvidia/detonator
> drivers)
>
>  When I play the Quake3 demo (OpenGL) the computer freezes after about
>  5 minutes. Sometimes the graphics changes into vertical lines before
>  the computer freezes.
>
>  With certain directX games, where there are lots of 3D effects, the
>  computer also freezes after about 5 minutes.
>
>  I am currently in communication with the manufacturer of the video card,
> but no solution has been suggested.
>
>  Thank you for your time. Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>  Charles Barnard
> Cape Town, South Africa

Charles,

Heat can cause the problems you are talking about.  There are some good
fans
that can be added to the heat sink, try this site: http://www.3dfxcool.com/
and follow the links to the Video card coolers or this site:
http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/4/20.htm?618.

Some other things you might check are your BIOS settings:

Assign IRQ to VGA (or video) - Find this somewhere in your BIOS set it ON
or
AUTO.
Video BIOS cacheable - disabled.
Video BIOS shadow - disabled.
VGA Palette Snoop- disabled.
PCI Palette Snoop- disabled.
C8xxxx-CBxxxx Shadow- disabled

Also check your AGP aperture setting
In general, for AGP cards, setting the AGP aperture to half your RAM is a
good idea. In some problematic cases, setting it to 64 or 256 Megs might
prevent weird lockups.  Some owners may also require that it be set to 4 or
8 Megs to force the TNT to use it's own RAM instead of system RAM.

You can also try one of these:

1) Change the RAM into another RAM slot (usually the slots furthest from
the
CPU).
(2) Change the ram settings to CAS3 from CAS 2.
(3) Disable ACPI in Windows 98/95.

Also check for an antivirus program running in the background, which can
cause slow downs and lock ups in 3D games.

Hope this helps,

Mary Wolden

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html