From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:43:56 -0400
An external PS2 keyboard must be connected to a PS2 port, not a serial port.

I think that laptops vary in how the PS2 Y connectors are made.  The reason
I say that is that my previous laptop had a Y connector with which I could
connect the mouse or keyboard to either of the Y sockets.  My new laptop
requires that I connect the mouse to only one of the sockets and the
keyboard to the other.

So far I have found that I can connect any PS2 keyboard to my laptop PS2
ports.

A possible way to have an external PS2 keyboard without a Y connector would
be to connect a "serial" mouse to a serial port and the keyboard to the PS2
port. The laptop should detect the serial mouse and install the drivers for it.

The infrared port may interfere with settings for a *serial* port, but not
PS2 port.  I had to disable my infrared port to make a serial (not PS2)
port work properly.

Doug

6/16/00 11:51 AM -0400, Erik Hundrieser wrote:

>I need to connect an external keyboard to a Fujitsu LifeBook C-4235. It
>has PS/2 (Y-connector support). What must I look for when I buy a Y
>connector. Can I use any external keyboard? At the moment, the external
>PS/2 keyboard is not responding. I have it plugged into a serial adapter.
>Also, are there any configuration changes to be made. I keep on reading
>about disabling the infrared port.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org