From:
Dan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:17:52 -0500

> At 12:57 PM 06/06/2000 , Rob Elsworth wrote:
> >What do you folks use for diagnostic software when trying to
> >troubleshoot hardware problems?
>
> I used different diagnostic software packages regularly for a long time
> and finally discontinued.   I found that the software took more time to
> use than just a practical sense approach to troubleshooting a PC.  There
> is nothing that a diagnostic software package can do, except possibly
> Ram testing, that will save the average PC technician an time.
>       Bob Wright
>The NOSPIN Group

I tend to agree with Bob on this.  I tried several packages, and they were a
waste of time for me.  They either did not tell me anything, or they told
what my suspicion was.  So they pretty much sit on my shelf.

I like norton utilities for checking hard disks, but don't like to have it
installed.  Other wise, the equipment I tend to use most are a POST card,
and my memory tester.  My other techs tend to follow suit.

When doing any testing, I tend to remove averything from the system except
what I have to use to duplicate the problem.  Throw in a different harddrive
with the same os, then a different os.  Same trouble, then its on the
motherboard.  Test the ram and still have problems, put in a known good
motherboard/processor. Granted my testing tends to rely on hardware, and I
happen to have the equipment.

As with any trouble shooting, common practical methods tend to work best,
eliminate what does work, and isolate the trouble.

Dan

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org