C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:52:28 +0100
                  Kimberlee Ames <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The hardest part about being a mother is knowing when to push
> for what we want for our kids without being overbearing.  I am
> just entering the realm of the school system, and believe me,
> they got off lightly this time.  I decided that preschool
> (through the public school system) was not the time to start
> fighting the big battles.  I will sit and watch and prepare and
> be ready down the road.
>
> In this supposedly "enlightened" age, it is still a war to get
> our kids included so they can get an education.
>
> Kimberlee

Hang on a minute!!

Special Ed does not mean "no Education".

Within education there are good schools and bad schools, there
are also special ed schools and mainstream schools. The sets are
by no means identical.

Speaking as one who boarded at Special Ed schools for 12 years
(living away from home since age 7), I can attest to the fact it
is possible to receive an excellent education, and perhaps more
importantly, an eminently workable outlook on life.

I fail to see the value of inclusionism as a goal in itself,
surely a major point of education is to produce happy, confident,
functional, adults, able to move on to fulfil their own
potential - mainstream schools are not always the best vehicle
for this.

Cheers (and I think you're a great Mum)

--
Deri James