From:
Kay McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:02:14 -0400
Mark,
Thanks for your response to my question about the exchange
of video cards causing problems.  But, I think you may have
missed the key statement of my message....or perhaps I did
not explain myself well enough.    I CANNOT bring up the
display properties.   I can right click on the desktop and
get the menu, but clicking on properties does nothing except
bring up an error message that says "Error loading driver".

I CAN bring up the NT diagnostics and can choose the display
tab.   The correct drivers for the new card appear to be
installed.     I feel sure you are right that the technician
just pulled out the old card and put in the new without
uninstalling the old;  however, I cannot fix the problem by
going into display properties through the desktop.

I have run the installation program that came with the new
card at least twice.   I have re-loaded Service Pack 5.   I
have tried to force the loading of the SVGA drivers during
reboot.   Nothing that I have done will allow me to enter
the display properties so that I can change the resolution.

Any further help any one can give me on this problem will be
greatly appreciated.

Kay McCoy
Automation Manager                       phone/fax:
304-465-5664
Fayette County Public Libraries        Oak Hill, WV  25901

>Then with your mouse right click on the NT
> desktop and select properties. Select the settings
Tab....push the Display
> Type button...under Adaptor Type... is the correct one
selected....Even if
> it is the correct one  push the change on and re select it
....install the
> driver. Then back out and reboot. For safety NT will load
SVGA drivers
> after a change which are what you are using now and why
you can't get out
> of 640 X 480 X 16 colors. This is NT4s safe mode.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html