From:
James Baird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 06:59:13 -0500
Date:    Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:18:20 -0400
From:    TERRNCE_NOLLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Possible Modem failure

Hello everyone,

        After a thunder storm, I received a call from one of my relatives.
He told me that he was no longer able to access the internet. (Dell
computer and DellNet ISP)  First, I tried running alittle built-in
program that came already installed to check the modem. The program check
parameters such as: modem,hardware,port,dialtone etc...  Every parameter
pass except the dialtone section.  So I disconnected the cable on the
modem end (there's only one cable with this system no in and out cable
needed) and connected a phone directly to RJ-11 port in the wall.  At that
point I was able to receive a dialtone.  When I decided to plug the cable
back into the modem,  I was not able to get a dialtone anywhere in the
house.  So I don't know if it's a modem problem or my phone line that
needs to be inspected.

  Before trashing the modem, change the modem cable.  Recently the identical
problem occurred here.  The modem cable shorted and killed the modem and the
house phones.  Changing the cable cleared everything up.  Unfortunately, the
owner had already bought another modem in the belief that the modem was bad.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html