From:
Gerry Coburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:59:18 -0400
Hello Listers

I have an Abit BE6 r2 board in my box with support for UDMA 66 devices. Currently I am not using UDMA66 because I am about to upgrade from a Celeron 466 chip to a P3 600e Coppermine and want to make all the changes together.

Currently I have two eide Maxtor hard drives installed, giving me a capacity of approx 20Gb. Both of these run as udma 33's.at 5200r.p.m. I want to upgrade to a faster hard drive(s)- ie 7200 - and wonder if anyone has any recommendations.

I want something of the same or greater capacity which can utilise UDMA66 and perhaps allow me to continue using the Maxtors. I understand that some hard drives of particular manufacture do not co-exist happily with other manufacturers products. Can anyone verify this?

What is the recommendation of the list and is there any specific pitfalls I need to look out for?

Also can anyone tell me where I can get P3 chip supports from to allow me to fit the new processor to my board? I am told that they normally come with the board but either they were not in the box or I have lost them. I have contacted Abit here in the UK but they are very slow in responding. Maybe someone cand direct me to a source for these.

Tia
Gerry Coburn

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>