From:
Rick Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 12:14:27 -0400
At 09:59 PM 5/6/00 +0100, Muhammad wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>How can I find out if there is an IRQ free in my system? I have Matrox G400,
>Creative PCI64, Avermedia TVCapture 98 in 1 AGP and 2 PCI slots. I have an
>external Diamond Supraexpress modem attached to Com1. I want to put in an
>internal ISA modem so that I can multilink to my ISP. I don't want to mess
>up the settings that I have now, as everything is working perfectly.
>
>Can anyone please help? Thanks in advance.
>
>Muhammad Arif Ullah

IMO, far and away the best thing to do is to disable Comm2 in your BIOS if
you are not using it, and install the modem to the IRQ that the port uses
(which is 3 or 4, can't quite recall). This puts the modem on an ideal IRQ.
If you try to install it plug-and-pray, it may wind up on IRQ 10 or above,
which is bad for a couple of reasons- Windows services the IRQ's
sequentially, so a lower IRQ is better. Also, I have been told that Windows
in general has trouble with modems installed above IRQ 9, which is where
many modems end up being if you don't control the install.

Hope this helps-

Rick Lindstrom
Eugene, Oregon