From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 14:49:26 -0700
At 09:33 PM 03/25/2000 , you wrote:
>pcbuild,
>
>I just picked a machine that was built by a local computer store on contract.  The CPU
>is supposed to be a P 3 - 500. I checked in device manager and it reports the CPU as"
>x86 Family 6 Model 8 stepping 1 ", What's This?
>Michael E. James, CNA

If you are expecting an Intel PentiumIII CPU or that is what you were sold,
I think there is a problem here, though I maybe mistaken.  First, I do not know
where you are looking in Device Manager to find this output, unless you are
using a program like Norton Utlities that supplies an addon feature "System
Information" to the dialog box when you right click on My Computer.

But, back to the crux of this question, I quickly checked a system here that
is using an Intel PIII-500mhz CPU and it reports this:
        GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 7 501 MHz Stepping 3

Note the "Genuine Intel" portion.  Typically, x86 is a term used for AMD
products, which would mean that you have either the AMD K2-500 3D Now
or the AMD Athlon 500 CPU.  Not that either are bad CPUs...  it is just a
matter of being sold one thing and getting another, since P3-500 is a
proprietary designation for Intel CPUs.

The only way you will really know at this point is to open the case and
physically examine the CPU, which probably will entail removing the fan/
heatsink from it.  Then, you will be able to read directly on the CPU
who made the chip and the designed speed.

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org