From:
nutritionmagician <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:43:45 -0400
Ken,
>>>What does "watch your food intake carefully" consist of?

I just meant to be observant of the feeling of low blood sugar which may
occur more intensely post exercise and use that info (and glucose testing if
they're doing that) to determine a pre and post exercise food regimen that
works for that person's body.  Also, if a diabetic person (I'm assuming type
2 here, insulin dependent is another issue) is using various medications to
increase insulin sensitivity which is often the case, needs for meds may
change too.

Dori,

If you're feeling good, what you're doing is probably fine.  The advantage
to working out before eating is that you go right to stored glycogen (which
presumeably is depleted on low carb) and then to stored fat to fuel the
exercise rather than having to burn off what you just ate.  But if you feel
weak or low blood sugar-y doing that, than it's a good idea to have a small
something.  I usually have about 3-4 oz. of a whey protein shake before a
morning workout.  It's absorbed fairly quickly, gives me some energy but w/o
raising blood glucose significantly and takes away hunger so I can focus on
my workout.  If you're more susceptible to blood sugar drops, you may want
to have a small amount of some kind of carb before as well (I've used
something like a few slices of baked sweet potato or small amount of baked
squash, or 1/4 apple).  I think alot of this is very individual, this is
what's worked for me.  The longer I 've been low carbing, the less able I am
to go do an early am workout with no food.  I don't need to eat a whole
breakfast but I don't have a good workout with nothing either.

Judy