From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:29:00 CDT
>JUSTIN:
>Any ideas on why this is?  Maybe the extra antioxidants temporarily
> >boosted my immune system so that it was strong enough to fight off >the
>foreign dairy proteins easier than it normally does?

GINNY AND TOMO:
>Yeah, maybe... Can you say "clue time", Justin?  Are you gonna get >serious
>about eating sometime soon, or should you just go play in >traffic?:)
>
>I had to listen to a friend discussing ice cream texture and >preference at
>great length the other night, and this guy is a TCM, >herbal, massge, and
>acupuncture practitioner. If someone like this >can't see the link between
>food and remedy, how long does it take the >vastly unenlightened?
>
>ginny and Tomo, sorta disgusted, or amazed, or something

This is what I feel is a typical holier-than-thou attitude.  A paleo elitist
attitude.  I do not believe that eating ice cream once per week is the
equivalent of "playing[ing] in traffic."

I'm going to explain this is plainly as I can.  Some people on this list are
to foolish to recognize the different extents of health (or absence there
of) in a lifesyle.  They hear the word "Paleo" and they think "health."  And
along the way, they question not very much.

Take Amadeus for example.  His diet is far healthier than many on the list.
Yet he is criticized for Vit B12 deficiency.  Oddly enough, those on the
list that don't eat enough fruit, vegies, and take a multi are not
criticized for a Vit C deficiency.  As far as I'm aware, Vit C is far more
important that Vit B12.  Hypocricy?

Moreover, look at some of these meat based diets.  Philip, for example, eats
3-5lbs of meat everyday.  He buys the steroid injected, grain fed,
antiobiotic treated meat from the grocery store.  To make matters worse, he
then heats it in a microwave.  So this equates to unhealthy meat that's been
treated with radiation.  Nonetheless, most of the people on this list praise
him for being so healthy.  I view this diet as highly unhealthy.  (And this
is not to criticize Philip. I don't see him preaching to others about
health.  I view him as someone whose primary interest is bodybuilding and
health is secondary.  There's nothing wrong with that.  I consider myself to
be in a similar situation.)

Ray eats a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning.  Bacon that is loaded
with SFA's.  Now maybe Ray has the genetics to where this won't cause
insulin resistance, clogged arteries, etc, but he is not the norm.  For most
people, a pound of bacon for breakfast would be unhealthy, cause a
substantial increase in insulin resistance, cholesterol, triglycerides, not
to mention an increase in bodyfat levels.

My diet consists of pastured meats, cod liver oil
(http://www.carlsonlabs.com), a good multi (http://www.lef.org), life flora
pills, organic meats and vegies, etc.  I don't have a fast metabolism so I
don't eat a 3000 calorie per day ketogenic diet.  I eat a high protein,
moderate carb, low fat diet.  Protein from pastured meats, carbs from
organic fruits and vegies, and fat from 2T cod liver oil per day.  This diet
is too high in carbs to be considered strict paleo.  Nonetheless it's
healthier than most of the diets on this list.  And health is not my primary
interest - it's secondary to athletic performance.  I find more fulfillment
from the weight room than I do a plate of paleo foods.  There's nothing
wrong with that.  Bodybuilding has given me more happiness than paleo ever
will.  This is the mix that works for me at this particular point in my
often confusing life.  It is not the best mix for everyone though.

More to the point.  Although I'm only 21 (today is my birthday), I learned a
long time ago that I don't live in a vacuum.  I grew tired of being the only
one at the party who's sipping bottled water while everyone else is knocking
back screwdrivers (1/2 vodka + 1/2 Sunny D). So nowadays, even though I
don't do shots, I have no problem with drinking a couple of lite beers every
other week or so.  According to Neandethin logic, those 2 lite beers should
increase my bodyfat.  Nevermind the fact that there's only about 200cal in a
couple of lite beers.  Nevermind the fact that the fat burning effect due to
the thermogenic properties of alcohol probably burns a good percentage of
those calories.

Sometimes I have to sacrifice a small amount of physical health to achieve a
higher degree of emotional health.  Part of a good health program is the
need to feel emotion, the need to interact with others.

Justin Hasselman