From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 20:44:53 CDT
> >Todd wrote:
> >So is it your idea that I am getting fatter because I'm starving?
> >I don't follow your reasoning here.  My carb intake is already
> >low.  I'm male, 235 lbs., 6'1".

>Philip wrote:
>First I was wondering how many lbs of meat you eat per day.
>
>The theory I was promoting (the one that worked for me) was
>that you lose fat by *upping your meat intake* (in combo
>with heavy weights) -- and keeping your carbs to a small %.
>(By starving I mean -- not enough meat.)
>
>I wonder how many lbs of meat a day a bodybuilder at 235/6'1"
>would eat a day?

This theory that to lose fat all you have to do is eat 3lbs (or whatever
number) of meat per day and lift heavy weights isn't going to work for
everyone.  And it's silly to oversimplify fat loss this way.  If someone is
trying to lose fat, and we're talking about meat, the question they need to
ask themself is "What is my glucagon to insulin ratio (protein to carbs
ratio)?"  Glucagon burns fat and unlocks fat stores, insulin stores fat.
Thus, when dieting, insulin needs to be low, and glucagon needs to be high.
Now I have seen people who can lose fat on a higher carbiohydrate diet, but
most can't.

As I recall, I think Todd already mentioned that he is eating meat and
keeping his carbs low, so glucagon to insulin ratio is not the problem here.
  And on a side note, Todd uses a HIT weight training protocol (I think it
was a full body workout once per week or something like that), eats paleo,
and is probably one of the smarter people on this list, so your suggestion
that all he needs to do to lose fat is eat more meat is silly.

Philip has been able to succesfully reduce his bodyfat to ultra low levels
by pumping iron frequently and eating meat.  But it does not necessary
logically follow that same protocol would work for Todd.  Everyone has
unique genetics, for some losing bodyfat is easier than others.

Some people have the genetics where maintaining low bodyfat levels is just
very hard to do.

xx Justin xx