From:
Holly Krahe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:14:21 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:
> I'd like to think if the diet has a
>  positive impact that medical 'puhfershnuls' will sit up and take notice,
but
>  I'm willing to bet the vast majority will refuse to accept the possibility
>  that eating this way is good for you.  Can you say 'nuckleheads'?

Whether the diet is good for you or not is not the question here - it's
whether the diet has the ability to improve or eliminate MS symptoms.  If you
read the rest of my post, you'd see why it is very unlikely that this will be
"found".  There is no way to "know" whether a person with MS will have more
problems or not, regardless of what he/she eats, so a lack of symptoms
correlated with a change in diet means not much.  Spontaneous improvement and
long term lack of problems is very common, especially now that MRI's have
identified a lot of cases that would never have been diagnosed as MS
previously.

There have been other diets, such as Swank's, that claim a positive effect on
MS, but they are very different from paleo - with very limited fats, etc.
Swank claimed all kinds of benefits that have never been accepted by
mainstream medicine, probably for the same reason cited above.

The MS societies routinely fund studies of all kinds of alternative
therapies, but I have yet to see any conclusive evidence from any of the
studies.  For myself, I am not waiting for this "proof" - I will base my diet
on what makes sense to me, and what makes my life better.  If I was a betting
woman, I'd wager that sometime in the future it will be "found" that MS is
not one syndrome, but many, with a lot of different causes and outcomes.
Since no one has ever claimed that damage to myelin can be reversed by any
therapy, it is really a question of stopping further damage and making
quality of life as high as possible.

Holly