Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:14:37 -0400
Todd Moody said:

> >When I was born (1953) I turned out to be completely allergic to
> >my mother's breast milk, and to cow's milk as well.

It is possible that what the doctor called ALLERGIC, was not an ALLERGIC
reaction; instead, it was colic and extreme discomfort caused by certain
foods your mother ate.  If she had changed what she ate, my guess it that
your discomfort would have been alleviated.  The doctors often fail to
understand how profoundly nutrition effects human bodies.  It affects one's
blood, brain chemistry, and if one is nursing, the composition and supply of
breast milk.

Like Alexs I simply cannot believe that you were allergic to your mother's
milk. I think the doctor was full of it (it being corn grits!!!).  I hear
absurd statements made by doctors weekly..... via reports from people who
are going to them in droves, then getting poor results or a long list of
side effects.  Many doctors and pyschiatriatrists (teachers too) believe
that brain chemistry effects behavior, and believe that taking drugs will
alter such chemistry.  They believe that diabetics  need to change their
diets--to alter their blood chemistry.  They believe that an automobile
requires a special type of fuel.

and yet.... they do not believe that what a person eats will alter his or
her blood chemistry (they think the body tightly regulated blood sugar on
its own....seeminlgy irregardless of what is ingested). They don't believe
brain chemisty is affected by what one eats (although they must know that
foods are comprised of amino acids and that amino acids affect brain
chemistry) and think nutrition has nothing to do with human behavior or
mis-behavior.  Perhaps they believe that we are less complex than cars, in
that we do not require any special fuel to operate.

In short (which this isn't), I hear reports every week that confirm the view
that most doctors know little about nutrition, and that includes
pediatricians.  The human species survived long before infant formulas,
fancy diagnotistic techniques, and prescription meds which typically cause
as many or more problems than they solve.  If doctors prescribed breast
feeding of all infants and the nourishing diet required to support healthy
reproduction and nursing, a plethora of (most) health problems could be
prevented or easily alleviated.

Rachel

--------