Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 00:25:57 -0500
Todd,

> That is a false dilemma: Either positivism is true or evidence
> doesn't matter.  Epistemology didn't die when positivism did.

I do not believe positivism is dead. However that is not really the issue.
You still have not answered my question, perhaps because I did not phrase it
correctly.

I am honestly curious to know how someone who rejects positivism can
distinguish meaningful statements from nonsensical statements.

Consider the statement "The unicorns on the moon prefer to eat carrots".

I reject that statement as meaningless on positivist grounds. The statement
cannot be verified because unicorns do not exist on the moon or elsewhere.
The statement has no place in any meaningful discussion of any kind. There
is no point in debating or testing the truth value of the proposition that
lunar unicorns prefer carrots, because the statement is utter nonsense.

Do you also reject it as meaningless? If so then on what grounds?

-gts