BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:55:52 -0500
After a 15 minute download and 5 minutes of trying to scroll past the
graphic "garbage" my system crapped out and crashed. Besides the personal
inconvenience it seems a waste of bandwidth and hard drive storage space
toboot. I am not complaining about this particular big graphic, and I do
think graphics are important, but I do think we must learn how to handle
them. This mail list seems to be a text oriented system and seems best used
in that mode.

May I suggest a policy of posting graphics on a website and simply including
a URL to that location in your messages? The graphic would be a single click
away and everyone who is not interested would not be inconvenienced. Sure,
it would take more of your time to post a graphic, but just compare that to
how much time this particular big graphic wasted. (perhaps 5-10 minutes
times the 50-100 users on this list, that's 4-16 hours, well perhaps not a
total waste, but you get my drift) If you do not have you own website where
you can post a graphic there are websites that specialize in this service,
some at no cost, there are also newsgroups for graphic files. A brief
description of the graphic in your message would be useful to help each
reader decide if going after the graphic would be worth it.

Although I know nothing about this maillist's server, I have seen other
servers close down maillists when they start chewing up too much storage.
This happens because there are other parts of the internet designed
especially to handle graphics.

Let's use the right tools for the job at hand.

John (I *never* used a screwdriver to open a paint can) Leeke