Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:25:09 -0500
HI,

I have a Dell Dimension......new this week.  It is a Pentium III
800mhz.   When I right click for properties on My Computer, on the general
tab it shows:  x86 Family 6 Model 8 stepping 3.  The only difference
between what was reported first and mine is the 1 and the 3 at the end of
the info.  Mine also reports GenuineIntel.

The only place I can find the info listed on the CPU is on bootup.   It
tells me that it is a Pentium III 800 mhz.     Hope this info might help.

Sue Na

***********************

At 02:49 PM 3/26/00 -0700, you wrote:
>At 09:33 PM 03/25/2000 , you wrote:
>>pcbuild,
>>
>>I just picked a machine that was built by a local computer store on
>>contract.  The CPU
>>is supposed to be a P 3 - 500. I checked in device manager and it reports
>>the CPU as"
>>x86 Family 6 Model 8 stepping 1 ", What's This?
>>Michael E. James, CNA
>

>If you are expecting an Intel PentiumIII CPU or that is what you were sold,
>I think there is a problem here, though I maybe mistaken.  First, I do not
>know
>where you are looking in Device Manager to find this output, unless you are
>using a program like Norton Utlities that supplies an addon feature "System
>Information" to the dialog box when you right click on My Computer.
>
>But, back to the crux of this question, I quickly checked a system here that
>is using an Intel PIII-500mhz CPU and it reports this:
>        GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 7 501 MHz Stepping 3
>
>Note the "Genuine Intel" portion.  Typically, x86 is a term used for AMD
>products, which would mean that you have either the AMD K2-500 3D Now
>or the AMD Athlon 500 CPU.  Not that either are bad CPUs...  it is just a
>matter of being sold one thing and getting another, since P3-500 is a
>proprietary designation for Intel CPUs.
>
>The only way you will really know at this point is to open the case and
>physically examine the CPU, which probably will entail removing the fan/
>heatsink from it.  Then, you will be able to read directly on the CPU
>who made the chip and the designed speed.
>
>    Bob Wright
>The NOSPIN Group
>
>               PCBUILD mailing list is brought to you by:
>                            The NOSPIN Group
>                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html