NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Gail Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 21:23:35 -0400
On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, datrco wrote:

> You mentioned that Tropical Source choc. chips are not 100% dairy free.
> Are they run on a dairy line, or does one of the ingredients contain some
> casein?  This is a big concern for me as I have been using them for about
> a year for my son who is on a gluten free/casein free diet.  Please let
> me know what you have found out.  Also, does anyone happen to know of a
> choc. chip that is casein free?

They changed the packaging here to say 98% dairy free because of
processing on equipment used for dairy.  This packaging change might have
been at the insistence of an organization determining kosher status, but I
don't remember whether it had a symbol on the package.

Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips don't list milk products but are kosher dairy
so probably on dairy equipment.  I recall Baker's semi-sweet chips also
not listing milk products but don't know about dairy equipment.  Another
option is Hershey's Special Dark.  Ingredients are milk-free and (on the 7
oz big bar) there's a small O-U at the end of the ingredients.  Should
mean pareve (safe machinery) but it's an odd place to put it, so you might
call them to double check 1-800-468-1714.  We buy the big bar, unwrap it,
put it a ziploc and almost seal it, wrap the ziploc bag with a dishtowel
and hammer away.  Makes chunky cookies.

Gail