BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks.\" -- Mary D" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mike Devonshire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:29:58 EDT
Brian-

I have not, but my great grandfather in Dayton did, and I visited him for
short periods annually for several years, from age six until age twelve. He
was up at five each morning and did the shake-down stoke-up in preparation
for breakfast. I dumped the ashes. The thing pretty much carried on by itself
and he tended to it irregularly. My most vivid memory is the Maxwell House
coffee can filled to the brim with bacon and sausage grease which lived on
top of the stove. In the morning the stuff was congealed, and by mid-day it
was liquid. The supply was kept filled by the daily ration of fat from the
above meats. He lived to be 110 years old. My great aunt now has the stove
but does not use it.