From:
"Gary R. Tennesen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 16:27:00 -0700
  Have your friend reset all NICs to manual 10mbps rather than 100mbps and
see if this helps network performance.   You may have 100mbps running on
sub-standard cabling.

You may also have a corrupt driver @ the server level for the NIC and/or
router.  HINT:  if it is a corrupt driver, you typically have to make sure
EVERY instance of the software is off the server and then a re-installation
from a fresh source can be ensured reliable.

I had an instance where a 3-Com NIC was misbehaving.  I tried dozens of
things including reinstallation of the card AND the software.  It wasn't
until I removed the files from c:\windows, c:\windows\system and
c:\windows\inf that the new drivers actually resolved the issue.

Hope this helps.

gary r. tennesen