From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 11:57:48 -0400
On Thu, 25 May 2000 08:27:42 -0700, Bruce & Lesser <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> >That gives "a sharp stick and a fire" then. Next, I wonder: Were
>> >there no clay bowls or other pottery artifacts?
>> Pottery is clearly neolithic, only 12k years old.
>> It should have been too difficult to carry around a piece of ceramic.
>> And these people (our anchestors) *had* to move around.
>
>What about caches (arrows, scrapers, etc.) of needed items in seasonal
camps.

A cache is made of leather, isn't it?
However the oldest pottery artefacts are neolithic.
Other ancient cooking forms have been discussed here
- over the fire on a stick (of course)
- in an animal skin or stomach with heated stones inside
  (would work not ofter per animal, i suppose)
- in a pit, also with eated stones etc covered.

This seems to rule out soups or other cooking at higher tempereatures
rather much for paleo times.
Of course pans are of iron age , at most bronze age
not more than 5k years.
Very high temperature would hardly have been reached.. at least for
fat, as fat disappears when roeasting over the fire.

I feel a little uncomfortable with all frying pans heating fats etc...

Amadeus