From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 10:25:29 -0700
First, let me apologize for a previous message of mine
which was probably nothing more than a quoted copy of
a previous digest. I don't have a clue what happened.
I hit a certain sequence of keystrokes while I was
formatting "this" message and - whooosh - message
away!

Todd wrote:

> Well constructed epidemiological studies do attempt
> multivariate
> analysis and identification of confounding
> variables.  This by no
> means makes them perfect.  In this instance, one of
> the nut
> studies was part of the Seventh Day Adventist study.
>  The SDAs
> already enjoy lower heart disease rates than the
> general
> population; the purpose of the study was to learn
> what dietary
> factors within this group were correlated with the
> lowest heart
> disease rates, and nut consumption turned out to be
> an important
> one.  In this and other nut studies, incidentally,
> peanuts are
> included as "nuts" and are in fact more frequently
> consumed than
> real nuts.

I know that the Adventists are encouraged to eat very
little meat or fish. Does that mean that nuts are a
primary protein source for them? Or do they try to get
most of their protein from grain sources? If nuts are
used as the primary protein source, it would be
interesting to know what the protein/fat/carb ratio is
for a "strict" Adventist. Are any of these studies
published online?

http://im.yahoo.com/