CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Issodhos @aol.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 19:15:31 EDT
In a message dated 5/19/00 1:20:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> My theory is entirely practical. If you do not pay tax, you cannot be said
>  to be paying tax. Tax paid by your employer directly to the government
>  cannot be said to be money paid by *you* to the government. It also cannot
>  be said to be part of your wages, since it is not actually paid to you.
>  Book-keeping entries notwithstanding.
>
>  You exchange your labour for the wages the employer pays you.

   Oh my.  You are basically saying that taxes withheld from a paycheck and
paid by an employer is really not money being taken from the employee.  It is
in fact the employer's money and it is the employer alone who is paying this
tax. Lets see how this 'theory' holds up in the real world. After having
ordered my employer to deduct from my paycheck state and federal taxes for a
year, the government informs me that I still owe $1040 dollars (yeah, I
realize the irony of the amount.  The tax form we file is a form 1040).
Notice that they did not say to my employer, "Ms. Employer, you must pay us
an additional $1040 dollars of your money," but, instead, they said
"Issodhos, mah man, you still owe us $1040 big ones!  Pay up!".  Apparently
they see it as money that comes from my labor.  Now, lets say the federal or
state legislature, in its infinite wisdom, decides to increase my taxes --
does the employer pay the additional tax, leaving my paycheck at its prior
amount?  No. My paycheck is reduced.  And if they actually reduce my tax
rate, does the employer get to pocket the savings or does it show up as an
additional amount in my paycheck.  Yes, it does.
Yours,
Issodhos