C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elaine Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:06:24 EDT
I've been wanting to get into this discussion, however time hasn't permitted.
 Now that I have a minute...

As you know, both of my children have CP. Alex much more involved than
Briana.  Currently, Alex is in a small group (4 kids, including Alex)
contained class in a regular school.  I do not see Alex moving from a
contained class anytime in the near future (I'm hoping however to place him
with a larger group within the next couple of years or so, but as of yet, he
is not ready).

I have looked into a "Special Ed School" for him about 2 years ago.  It is a
school specifically for CP. Unfortunately, and as mentioned in other posts, I
felt it was a babysitting school.  When I went there, one child was sleeping
in a stander, another was "penned up" (a small fence around her because she
was a runner), and a group of children were "learning."  The learning aspect
really blew me away.  I just didn't see any going on.  The stuff they were
learning was just not the education that I wanted my son to have.

The teacher's were "taught by the therapist's to do PT/OT, and therapy was
all group, no individual.

Although I am mainstreaming Briana, I am not an advocate of mainstreaming for
all, obviously, Alex is not ready (any maybe never will be) for
mainstreaming, and that's OK.  As long as he gets a quality education.
That's all I care about.

Elaine