C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 02:08:50 +0100
                  Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Yes, I was one of the lucky ones. My parents moved from Kansas
> to California when I was 3. I started with a head start when I
> was 3, and then when I entered first grade, we moved to the Los
> Angeles area where I was bused to a wonderful SP ed school, and
> I got pt, OT there as well. In any case, I felt like that was a
> great school. only 12-15 kids in each class. I hated what it
> did to my social life, (I didn't get to know the kids on my
> block because I was bused so far away, and then my Mom made it
> worse by taking me to additional PT, math and spelling
> tutoring, and speech therapy.) but that's the way it goes.

I have very similar feelings, the only difference is that my Sp
Ed school was all boarders - we stayed there all term time. I'd
like to describe the school so that the parents on the list get
a feeling of why I am a fan.

The school was an old country manor house, in 40 acres of
landscaped gardens including woods, a fishing lake, tennis
courts, croquet lawn, horse riding stables, go kart track. The
school day was:-

   08.00 Breakfast
   09.00-12.00 School with a "milk" break
   12.00 Lunch
   12.45-16.30 Afternoon break
   16.00-17.30 School
   17.30 Tea
   18.30-21.00 leisure

In that afternoon break there was a large staff of PTs, OTs and
speech therapists. If you didn't have therapy there was horse
riding, swimming, and estate work (40 acres doesn't look after
itself - haymaking was the most fun). In the evening more
swimming, riding, triking (everyone got issued different adapted
trikes!!).

This is what I mean by Special Education, and I know how
privileged I was to get it!!

--
Deri James