C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cindy C Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:11:59 -0700
I was very fortunate, when I began 8th grade I had the opportunity to go
to both and SP ED school and a regular school.  I'm firmly against full
inclusion.  Some of the more severally disabled (ie autistic, mentally
retarded, etc.) could never make it.  Plus the teachers aren't educated
concerning those disabilities.  If a kid with CP goes to a regular school
do you think he/she would be able to participate in the extra ciricular
activiities?  No!  Some of them don't even get out of that darn resource
room because they're too disabled and the "regular" teachers haven't been
educating on how to work with them!

When I was in school I want a cheerleader, I was the Student Body
President, I was on the yearbook staff, and I was on the newspaper staff.
 This was at the SP ED school.  Do you think disabled kids will get those
same opportunities at a regular school?  It would be easy to paint a
beautiful picture, as they often do, but the sad reality of it is they
wouldn't.

I believe that kids with disabilities and without need to socialize
together.  There must be other ways of doing that.

There, I've said my peace.

Cindy