BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Dierickx <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "lapsit exillas"
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 13:45:25 EDT
Regarding Landmarks policy on sash colors:

In my recent experience, Landmarks staff has been asking for original or
similar paint colors.  On an Upper West Side rowhouse, the staff asked for a
light color, closer to the color of the limestone, rather than black.  I
agree with Eric, if we insisted on the existing black, they would have
accepted it.

We didn't need to do a paint analysis in this case and I don't believe
Landmarks will require paint investigation unless you want something from
them.  We did it to get aluminum windows in a tenement in Greenwich Village
(it already had aluminum windows).  The sash was brownstone color.

I think it's interesting and a good idea to move away from basic black.  For
years everyone just said "paint it black," it was easy and understandable to
owners and contractors.  Many of windows on those classical, early 20th
century buildings were light colored.  This will bring the way these
buildings look closer to the original designs.  It will also allow for more
variety in historic districts, which need more variety.

In this vein, I don't see why upper floor awnings on the Haughwout building
in SoHo are so bad (NYT Real Estate page article last Sunday).  Broadway was
a messier street in 1900, with signs and awnings everywhere. Preservationists
shouldn't be neat freaks.

Mary Dierickx, NYC