RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:44:39 -1000
From:
Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
> Stefanie:
>>> We have to keep in mind that we are talking of animal foods in th=
>>> e form of vertebrate meat, since the inclusion of invertebrates in the diet=
>>> doesn't require such specific adaptations as vertebrate meat does.
>
> Kirt:
>> Since much of your "essay" relies on this point, could you perhaps provide
>> some references on why eating vertebrates requires more "specific
>> adaptations" than eating invertebrates?

> Stephanie:
> I suppose my previous post made that clear, but to stress the point again
> I will rapeat it here. Eating vertebrate meat is the only distinguishing
> factor between carnivores/ omnivores and herbivores, since invertebrates are
> eaten by all of them. I hope I don't need to give references about the
> differences between herbivores and carnivores/ omnivores.

No, you don't. The distinctions are pretty silly actually since relatively
few animals fall into the strict carnivore/herbivore dichotomy. Kinda like
your vertebrate/invertebrate silliness... ;)

You can simply respond to the original question, which had nothing to do
with carnivore/omnivore/herbivore.  In case you didn't understand, I'll
rephrase the question:

If an animal (say, "Pan") is adapted to invertebrate consumption, what
further adaptation would be needed to consume invertebrate foods?
Specifically, what "specific adaptations" would be required? And the
references for same, por favor.

Further, if modern chimps are more than willing to (hunt, kill, beg for,
and) digest invertebrate carcasses, do chimps have the "specific adaptation"
as well? Where did it come from? References, please.

Cheers,
Kirt