RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:00:18 -0800
>how do you guys know that the long term track of raw vegan is what you say?
>how many long-term raw vegans are there in the united states, or in the
>world? does anybody really knows? what percentage of them report their
>state of health to other people? when you say raw vegan does not work in
>the long term for many: how many are this many, and what percentage of the
>total world-wide raw vegans represents? i have the persistent feeling, (and
>i had it two years ago when i first joined here, but correct me if i am
>wrong) that some of you guys seem to talk about a limited experience, like
>the raw vegans you know or have heard of, etc. who really knows the number
>of raw vegans in the world? there can be valid scientific/empirical health
>reasons not to be raw vegan, but i do not know about this often-repeated
>"bad track for long term raw vegans". please inform me about just how many
>people do you know that are long term vegans, and if there is some
>approximate idea of how many can be out there.

I appreciate that you bring the topic of raw vegan versus no vegan in a
wider perspective.(outside the narrow north american experience on it )
it is my experience to have  met raw vegans in India who do well . iI is
true that when you come from a rice and curry  only , tradition , it is easy
to do better on a raw vegan diet with more food variety.
In an alternative school communauty one person have been raw for few years
to cure his asthma . I have been inpressed by the little variety of food
available to him . During my 10 days stay , i saw him eating mostly coconut
bananas, and a few papayas because it is all what they got( they were on
basic subsistence, producing their own food, and it was dry season).

The all communauty wanted to go on raw food following his example and the
examples of a all network of peoples started by a naturopath ( who were not
requiring any money for his dedication to the cause).
But they were very gentle with themselves and others on that , knowing that
they will do it at their pace . At the time of our visit they were doing it
every other day.
I was impressed because i was so attached to have a lot of food to choose
from, there example start me on a path of being less and less concerned by
what i got in my plate, and more and more by the loving exchanges between
humans., because there i saw for the first time in my life the power of
supporting kindness  and acceptance of other's struggles.
I t help me to relativise my fears of not having the right nutrition .

They decided that every member of the communauty will adopt an unwanted baby
from their tribal neighbours . They knew the case against milk but were
willingly giving buffalo milk to their 1st adopted baby because they were
nothing else to give that was available (coconut could have been an option
but they had to buy it from the far away village.
We have the luxury to be picky about what we have on the table .
 as long as our prosperity depend  on thirld world country poverty , we
might not been able to see what is the "perfect sustaning diet".
Jean-claude