C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 18:00:23 -0400
Thanks, Bobby. I feel the same way about your posts. I really enjoy this list - you are all terrific. I feel at home here and I am learning so much.

I have a question, though about your response to my post. Are you saying it is ridiculous for them to compete in wheelchair racing? I took it the other way - if wheelchair racing IS a legitimate sport, then why would anyone be barred from participating regardless of ability? As I understand it, there is no physical advantage in the race. Wouldn't it be discrimination to exclude based on ability? These are serious competitors - they train regularly. One got into it  as a form of upper body training. And as I said, in Canada one does not have to be disabled to compete in this sport.

I'm not trying to be funny or rude... I just would like to know what people think and why.

I also read an article recently about sailing. Can't remember all the details but there are some Canadian companies that have manufactured adaptive equipment to allow even severely disabled sailors to race. One system involves controlling the boat with puffs of breath. One sailor interviewed was quadriplegic (I'm not sure of the cause) but with the equipment can sail independantly. He was quoted as saying it is exhilarating and gives him a sense of freedom. Since he can now easily sail, it puts him on  par with others with lesser degree of disability or those with no disabilities. He also said the race outcome was then determined by SAILING SKILL as opposed to level of physical ability. Any thoughts?

Yvonne

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/02/00 05:15PM >>>
Yvonne,

        I vaguely remember hearing about this, but I did not hear about their
rediculous explanation. Sounds like something my university students would say.
Unbelievable! Who needs fiction when you look at what goes on.

        I wanted to say how much I enjoyed your posts to the list. They are
very
informative and up beat. Thanks.

Bobby