From:
Joan K. Davitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:41:12 -0400

Dear List mates,

Well here you have it. Again we must be completely diligent in checking and
rechecking sources re: the GF status of products. It appears from this
response (below) that Lee Kum Kee hoisin sauce is NOT GF. I find the
response interesting, since soy sauce and soy bean paste are not even
mentioned on the list of ingredients on the package. I guess we just have
to stick to making all our own sauces, it's the only way to be sure that
something is safe. I am truly sorry for any confusion on this and I do hope
that this didn't cause problems for too many of you.

Dear Joan,
Thank you for your enquires and interest in Lee Kum Kee products.
questions.

1) I would like to make sure that your Hoisin sauce does not contain any
wheat, rye, barley or oats or any derivatives of those grains.  Can you
confirm this?

Although we do not add the above grains to Hoisin Sauce directly, we have
added soy sauce & fermented soybean paste in Hoisin Sauce. Soy sauce and
fermented soybean paste are the fermented products from water, soybean,
salt, and wheat flour. After fermentation, there may be trace amount of
wheat proteins or wheat amino acids left. So, there are possible that some
wheat proteins or amino acids may be carried over into the Hoisin Sauce.
Please consult with your dietitian before use.

2) Also can you send me a list of other products that you make which do not
contain these grains? In particular I have been looking for a soy sauce
without wheat.

Although we seldom use rye, barley, oat, etc as ingredients in our products,
most of our products contain soy sauce and/or fermented soybean paste, i.e.
wheat flour. And although we produce our products under good manufacturing
practice so that all the machinery are cleaned as far as possible, there may
be unavoidable cross-contamination in the production line. So, we can only
advise you our products may contain wheat and provide you the list of
products which do not use wheat, rye, barley, oat as ingredients.

Premium, Choy Sun, Panda Oyster Flavored Sauce
Chicken Bouillon Powder
Chicken Soup Base for Hot Pot
Chili Garlic Sauce
Chili Oil
Coconut Flavored Curry Sauce
Fine Chili Sauce
Fives Spices Marinade
Honey Garlic
Minced Garlic
Minced Ginger
Minced Ginger & Shallot
Orange Sauce & Glaze
Plum Sauce
Ready Sauce for Coconut Curry Mixed Vegetables
Rice Vinegar
Sa Cha Sauce
Satay Sauce
Sauce for Lemon Chicken
Sauce for Orange Fish Fillet
Sauce for Sweet & Sour Pork / Spare Ribs
Seafood Soup Base for Hot Pot
Sesame Oil
Sesame Seed Paste
Shrimp Sauce
Sichuan Sauce
Sichuan Toban Djan
Sriracha Chili Sauce
Sweet Chili Sauce
Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
Sweet and Sour Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce
XO Sauce
XO Seafood Sauce
XO Sauce with Abalone

Hope you find that the information are useful.

Best regards,

Stephen Choi
Quality Assurance Manager (Hong Kong Plant)
Lee Kum Kee Co., Ltd.

Joan K. Davitt
Instructor
Bryn Mawr College
Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research
300 Airdale Rd.
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
(610)520-2627
(610)520-2655 (fax)