From:
James Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:41:30 -0500

Hello group

I would like to thank all of you who responded to my questions about the
gluten challenge and the endoscopy that I am scheduled to have done in
September. I found the majority of the responses to be pleasant, and
well informed. The amount of time to be on a gluten containing diet
averaged between two weeks and two months, although some people did
suggest as long as six months. For the most part, those members who have
had a endoscopy done, had no problems at all but very few have done the
gluten challenge. Most of the people who did do a gluten challenge felt
that it was worth the discomfort. Many members of this group have
feelings very strongly against the gluten challenge and/or having a
endoscopy done at all. It all seems to be a matter of opinion, different
for each individual person.

My posting sparked some very strong responses from some of the list
members. I would like to state that two of the members of this group did
get a little out of hand and said some things to me that I felt
inappropriate and hurtful. I know that when it comes to health everyone
strong feelings, but we need to be mindful of the feelings of others
when answering their questions.

I know that I will be sick from now until I get this test done but am
hoping that all of this is going to be worth it in the end. It matters
not weather the tests come back positive or negative, as of September
7th I will be on a gluten free diet again.  I have to do this for my own
peace of mind and so that my doctor will take me seriously. I am the one
who did all of the research and found out that I had Celiac Disease and
Dermatitis Herpetiformis and started treating it myself despite my
doctors objections. He has tested me for every known disease but celiac
because he feels that it is too rare and a long shot. How many tests can
one person live through! Going through the rest of my life not knowing
and never trying to get tested would be harder on me than going through
one last period of sickness. Call me a fool or wish me luck...I can't
turn back now.

Thank you all again
Irene Young
South River,Ont.Can.