From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:14:33 -0600
At 11:28 PM 06/04/2000 , you wrote:
>Hello all,
>I would like to upgrade my AMD K6-233 mhz processor to an AMD K62-300 one.  But I am not
>sure if my mobo could handle the core voltage on it.  I went to Fry's electronics and
>found out that it requires a 1.8 core voltage, while my mobo has an auto option for
>detecting the core voltage of a cpu.  It also has fix ranges of voltage from 2.1 to 3.5
>volts.  I wonder if the auto option can be used for voltages lower than 2.1.  Another
>thing I would like to know is if my mobo can take advantage of the features of the K62
>as compared to the K6 even though it is not a super seven mobo.  I am sure though that
>it can handle the K6-300. The K62-266 mhz processor is also another option since my mobo
>can handle its core voltage, bus speed and multiplier requirements.  My mobo is an
>A-Trend 5030 with bios version 10.03 GS.
>
>Could you please advise me as to w
>hich processor would be the best for an upgrade here?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The manual on your motherboard states:
"The ATC-5030 mainboard provides auto-detection function
to detect CPU core voltages and CPU core voltages range
from 2.1V to 3.5V."   So, "if" it does work it will run the CPU
very hot and probably burn it out...   the other issue is that
the 300mhz cpu should be set to FSB of 100mhz for optimal
service, which is not an option on this motherboard.  It only
ranges from 60mhz~83mhz.

Personally, if you want to upgrade to a faster CPU, I would consider
upgrading the motherboard as well...  typically, today you can
buy a fair motherboard in the under $60 range with a little looking.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html