From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 18:49:07 -0400
> Will a VLB socket3 motherboard accept a CD Reader? Putting together a
> computer using a collection of spare parts and so far am unable to get the
> M/B to recognize the CD Reader. If this is not possible, will do
> things the
> hard way.

        It depends on the BIOS. Most CDROMs are ATAPI and don't work well in
systems that don't have support for ATAPI. I have had serious trouble trying
to get win95 to recognize ATAPI CDROMs in systems without ATAPI support. You
could try loading the DOS drivers, that sometimes works with a degradation
in performance. I find the best route is to use a BIOS upgrade card. I found
one by promise that I bought for $5, it upgrades almost any system to LBA,
ATAPI, auto detection of drive parameters and it adds an additional IDE
channel! It is ISA but that is more than enough for the 486 system I have it
in at the moment. Good luck, TTYL

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org