From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:05:06 -0800
I have a Cox@home cable modem SurfBoard SB3100. I have been using it since
last October and it provides me with a good solid and fast connection. I
never go down. However there is a recurring problem which I am unable to
resolve.
I have a LAN and run the modem from one PC as a NAT server. I have run this
modem from three different PCs
233MMX 96 megs RAM ..NT SERVER
486DX100 16 megs of RAM...Win95b
AMDK62400 128 megs of RAm

Once I got it operational the modem worked equally great from each platform
without any noticeable difference in performance.
However getting it working on each PC has always been a struggle. I install
it to a stable setup ....mirror the IP settings from the previous PC but it
takes a huge effort to get the modem to start working on the new PC. Right
now I have it running on the 233MMX. I have installed a stripped down NT4
workstationSP6a on the 486DX100 that works well and I want to get the cable
modem working off it as a backup NAT server. The TCP/IP 486 settings are a
mirror of the NT Server settings. The LAN works fine on the 486...I can
ping the IP address of the cable modem NIC. There is no firewall and at the
moment it is stand alone. The cable modem is not functioning as a NAT. I
can ping the cable modem from the 486. But I can not connect online. I have
tried shutting everything off. Powering down and then restarting. I have
run manufacturer diagnostics on the Kingston ISA NIC for IRQ/IO conflicts
and Transmit and Receive...it passes everything. I have removed and
reinstalled the network on the 486..I have removed and reinstalled the OS
on the 486 ..I have tried going back to win95b.
If I plug the modem back in to the primary NT Server PC = 233MMX the modem
works fine

I called COX. When plugged into the 486 COX can ping the modem but not the
IP address. They don't understand why it is not working and eventually
resorted to telling me that they don't actually support a 486 or a LAN.
They don't support a 486 because the Cox at home software ..which I don't
use ...requires a Pentium class PC. Not because there is a hardware issue.

I have had it working on this 486 for months at a time so there is nothing
incompatible about the PC. And I always seem to struggle when I move it to
any PC ....It should just be straight forward...copy the settings and plug
it in.

Has anybody else had this sort of experience ? Any ideas ?

thanks

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html