From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:53:39 -0800
--- Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> At 3/3/00 06:31 PM -0800, Walter R. Worth wrote:
>
> >  SpeedConnect  Internet Accelerator, is an optimizer for modem and
> >LAN/Cable Internet connections, which will speed up your Internet
> connection
> >by optimizing Windows default TCP/IP settings (generally
> inefficient), the
> >cache and ports settings. It features various optimization modes and
> special
> >support for different network adapters (including AOL). SpeedConnect
> >Internet Accelerator is a         powerful, easy-to-use program for
> Windows
> >95 and 98 which boosts your Internet connection speed by up to 200%.
> It is
> >compatible with all modems and high-speed LAN/Cable connections.
> More info
> >can be obtained from here,
> http://speedconnect.hypermart.net/products.htm.
> >I can't verify their claims of 200% but it does work.
>
> Has anyone used one of these type programs on a laptop where
> sometimes a
> LAN connection is used and other times a dial up connection is used?
>
> I tried one on my IBM ThinkPad and it totally screwed up my LAN
> connection.  I ran it while in the dialup mode, but when I tried to
> use my
> Ethernet connection, a typically 5 second download from our server
> took
> over a minute, consistently.

I'm of the old school, "you can't get something from nothing".
From my experience, optimizers tend to exploit or alter programming
better left alone.

As an example, modem optimizers attempt to improve performance by way
of additional caching, altering packet size, or reducing packet flow to
emulate a more consistent level of performance. I've noticed this
actually works on systems configured incorrectly to begin with, but
rarely makes a difference on a "normal" system.

The programs which increase buffering seem to work, but they allocate
additional caching similar to methods used for a "high speed" cd-rom.
Excessive caching is rarely a good thing since it takes away from
memory needed to actually process the data being cached.

Bottom line: most of these programs tend to borrow from code already
written into Windows and exploit them as a "new concept".

> By the way, does anyone know of a Win 95 program that displays
> (possibly in
> systray) LAN activity?  I could use either the "flashing" send and
> receive
> display as is displayed by the dialup connection, or a numerical
> bytes
> sent/received as is displayed with the connection "Status" window.
> On a
> LAN I like to know if I am actually sending or receiving data.

There's actually an abundance of these as either demos or
freeware available for download. Download.com has a network
section loaded with such utilities. My favorite has been Net Medic.
Your Win 9x System Monitor can also report bytes sent/rec'd on the
network in real time.

good luck
-yui shin

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: