From:
Ben Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 23:49:01 -0500
I apologize for not including all the information in the first post on this.
I've copied the original below as info.  The Maxtor drive that I'm trying to
add to the secondary ide controller will not run in anything but dos
compatibility mode even when it is the only device on the controller.  This
drive is assuming the designation "E" which was the zip drive.  I have no
entries in the config.sys that would be loading some weird driver for this
drive letter.  I've checked the registry for a NOIDE entry.  There was none
present.  The drive works correctly on the primary controller.  As I said
earlier, CD and zip work correctly on the secondary.  Is there someplace I'm
not looking where some file is loading incorrect drivers for this device?

Here's the original:

I'm having a problem adding a hard drive to my PIII 450, Win98SE, Abit
BX6-2.  I have 2 hard drives on the primary IDE controller and an A-open 32x
CD as master and a Zip as slave on the secondary.  I want to add an 8 GB
Maxtor drive to the secondary controller in place of the zip.  I removed the
zip and just replaced it with the hard drive as a slave to the CD.  The bios
recognizes everything correctly but in Win 98 I have no CD at all in
explorer or system properties and a yellow exclamation mark on the secondary
IDE controller showing that it's not working.  No conflicts are shown.  Only
two hard drives are listed in system properties but I can access the new
drive, E,  which apparently is running in dos compatibility mode.  I changed
the jumpers on both the hard drive and the CD making the hard drive master
and the Cd slave.  Still the same thing.  I removed the main bus master
controller and let the system reinstall all the controllers.  Same problem.
Of course, if I put the zip back in all is well.

I'm stumped.  Anyone have any ideas?

Ben Moore

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD... All the files from our File Download
         area and much more...  over 165 files, all on one CD!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions