From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:04:32 -0800
Gerry,

I am going to suggest that you start with your sound card first.  I say this
because the last Windows Protection Error problem I ran into had a direct
correlation with the sound card driver.  However, in general it sounds like
you have some hardware that doesn't like each other (or each others
drivers).  My problem stemmed from not having the exact driver for the card.
I had to try four or five different versions of the same driver before I
found the one that worked.

I would remove all non-essential cards from the system first.  Load Windows
98 with just one hard drive, your video card, memory, and CPU.  Then, if you
do get the system to work, start adding components until you run into the
problem again.  If not, you may have an unresolvable conflict in your video
or memory, or possibly a bad motherboard.  HTH.

Kyle