From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 09:48:21 -0700
At 05:16 PM 01/31/2000 , you wrote:
>Help!  I just managed to get two modems to work in my system for a pretty speedy
>internet connection (averaging about 90,000-110,000kbps).  I am running Windows 98 and
>using multilink.  Now I want to allow my wife's computer to share my internet connection
>using Windows 98 internet connection sharing.  I am having a little trouble getting it
>installed on her system, however.  When I run the wizard I set up the internet
>connection to connect over the LAN.  Then it starts stepping me through the ICS process
>and tells me to click on the "Advanced" button to set up the connection.  I select the
>network card (3COM Etherlink III TPO PnP - ISA) in the advanced window as the network
>adapter and press "OK".  When I press "OK" I get an error message saying I need to
>select the network adapter, even though it shows the network adapter highlited in that
>field.  If I cancel, I cannot finish the wizard setup.  Does anyone have any experience
>with this setup?  Did I provide enough information?  Here is the system info:
>
>Cyrix (eek) MII 233Mhz MMX
>64MB RAM
>3COM Etherlink III TPO PnP ISA NIC
>Diamond Stealth II S220 4MB Video
>Asound PnP Sound
>Windows 98 - Fresh load - only installed Office 2k and Juno
>
>I am running a peer-to-peer network with IPX/SPX, NetBui, and TCP/IP, using file and
>printer sharing.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I started to write the VPN Setup Guide for our web site on several
occasions and just have not finished it.  So here is a quickie guide
to setting it up...  it is not as clear as I would like and I will try to
get a better one on the web site soon!!

One thing I noticed is that you are using IPX/SPX and I would delete
this protocol out...  just use NetBui.
Start from scratch... on the server:

Add first the Microsoft Dialup-Adapter

Add the TCP/IP-protocol (to allow to connect to the Internet)

Add the Client: "Client for Microsoft Network"
(required in ANY case to save/cache the Dialup-Networking Passwords).

Then, add again, (a second one) the Microsoft Dialup Adapter.

It will be labeled as: Dialup-Adapter#2 (VPN support)
(This DUN upgrade does NOT allow two simultaneous dial
outs on two Modems to different ISPs)

Add the adapter: Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter.
This will also install the protocol/binding:
     NDISWAN->Microsoft Virtual Private Networking
Since it will connect to the VPN-server via NetBEUI protocol,
you need to install now NetBEUI-protocol.

Delete any bindings not required:
1) NetBEUI to Dialup-Adapter (because that is using ONLY
     TCP/IP to connect to the Internet)
2) TCP/IP on Dialup-Adapter#2 (because the VPN-server will
     only accept incoming calls on NetBEUI-protocol.

Make sure that your system is in the same workgroup/domain as the
VPN-server.

Let the system install all the components and it will need to restart.

Then on the client machine, you select the Dialup adaptor#2 with
VPN support.  Select in Properties to connect to the Internet using
NetBui.  With VPN, you connect via RAS to a server, just like
connecting on a local network.  When connected to a local network,
it is the Username and password entered during bootup , that defines
your network permissions.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: