NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:13:26 -0700
On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:52:05 -0700 Suzanne DiPiero <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> own sorbet.  I was wondering if you've made any
> non-fruity flavors like vanilla, chocolate or coffee?

I have a recipe for chocolate, but have not tried it.  My kids are
allergic to chocolate.  I can't wait till I can have it again.  I don't
think I've ever seen one for vanilla.  I have recipes for tea flavored
ones and espresso, but I'd have to dig them up.

> Also, are the recipe's easy to substitute one fruit
> for another, making experimenting easy?

You start with a sugar syrup - the proportions will depend on the type of
fruit and how sweet it is and how much moisture content.  Then you mash
the fruit.  I've used a food processor to puree it, but it doesn't get
fine enough for my taste, so I also sieve it.  If you have a food mill,
that would be great.  Some, like green apple, you need to cook, then
sieve.  Most take some sort of acid like lemon or lime juice.  I have
omitted this when I made strawberry once when I was out.  A lot of the
recipes that I have also call for some sort of liquer, but I usually omit
this.

If you get too much water, it will get icy - too much sugar and it won't
freeze well and will stay softer and more grainy.  Some are just that way
by nature, i.e. watermelon is very icy and grapefruit is soft.  I tend to
like them set more than right out of the churn, so I do freeze them in a
dish for an hour or so.  I also make little single servings up in 2oz
plastic disposable containers.  I pop these in the freezer and I can have
lots of flavors on hand for treats.  I've tried making popsicles out of
it, but there is too much air in after it is churned and it does not
freeze hard enough to keep the stick in.

Kathy P.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.