NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donna Sorbello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:24:47 -0700
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to this list, and have been following along for the last
several weeks.  I live in New England.  My daughter will be a year old in
May, and she appears to be allergic to milk, soy, and wheat.  I found this
out while breastfeeding her.  She had eczema, stuffy nose, and diarrhea as
long as I was eating foods with these allergens.  It took a lot of
detective work, and elimination diets to slowly figure out what I could and
could not eat while breastfeeding her.  She was 5 months old, when I felt
that all allergens were identified and eliminated from my diet.  I was
allergic to milk as a baby, as were my siblings, and so was my husband and
his siblings.  I,  myself, do not currently have any food allergies, and
neither does he.  I do have to say though,  that I've felt a lot healthier
not eating milk, soy or wheat for all of these months.

I'm pregnant again, and have been slowly weaning my daughter onto enriched
rice milk.  As of 2 days ago, she appears to be fully weaned now, and loves
the rice milk.  I'm VERY concerned about how to proceed with her allergies,
though, especially after reading things like:

>Either way, you should always have an
>EpiPen and a fast-acting antihistamine (such as liquid Benadryl here in
the
US) with you at all times. You never know when something she eats will
>trigger a major, life-threatening reaction.

I have no intention of introducing milk products, soy, wheat, as well as
peanut, citrus, and peas to be on the safe side, until sometime after she
is a year old.  I'm really nervous about her having a life threatening
reaction and am wondering about the safest way to go about doing this.

I would also appreciate any advice people have to offer on whether or not I
should refrain from consuming any dairy, soy, and wheat while pregnant.

Sorry this is so long, and thanks in advance for any input people may have.

Donna S.