NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:20:01 -0700
On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 06:50:25 -0700 Suzanne DiPiero <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> instructor, children who are breast-fed do not develop
> milk allergies.  I'm questioning this generalization.

Horse-hockey!  I have 2 kids who have never had a drop of formula and
both are milk intolerant as well as to some other things.  Sometimes it's
just bad genetics!  You lower your risk if you keep dairy out of your own
diet while bfing.  I was just at a talk done by an allergist and the data
is not cut and dried like that.  They seem to have a lower risk, but it's
hard to say if they would or would not have developed the allergies
anyway.

There is no history of direct food allergies in either parent, but we
both have severe overall allergy potential.  I didn't become dairy
intolerant until after bfing the first one, so pregnancy elimination was
a given on the second.  By the middle of the pregnancy, I could actually
eat some dairy w/out disaterous effects.  Elimination during pregnancy
was also studied, but the results were that the poor nutrition of the
mother due to the elimination was more harmful causing low birth weight,
etc than any perceived benefit.

I would still encourage you to breastfeed if possible.  My allergist
recommended using a broken down formula (nutramigen, alimentum, or even
good start)  for supplementing if necessary.  With my second, since I'm
concerned about the corn allergy his sister has, I'm going straight to
soy milk as I wean and bypassing the formula step to transition.  the
general recommendation I've seen is to switch over slowly to formula for
a week bc cow's milk has way more solute than breastmilk.

Kathy P.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.