BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Bruce.Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Astral Rendered Bee Wax -TM"
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 12:00:21 -0700
"XD,

Is there an airport?

Shaman "

It's almost entirely held together with duct tape. Actually, we've been
having a tough time lately with the historic US Army-built wooden hangars
that used to populate our airport.

They were built to support the WW2 lend lease program whereby America
supplied the Soviets with hundreds of fighter planes and bombers for the
Eastern front. They took a long and dangerous route from the lower 48
through BC YT and AK, over the Bering Sea into Siberia, where Russian pilots
took over. Many of these pilots were women, trained in one big hurry, who
went on to successful flying careers.

Back to the hangars, we've lost the last two to fire over the past decade.
In both cases, maintenance involving torches was the culprit. Shame, as
these buildings used old growth fir, and were majestic in a functional way.
One of the hangars was used as the main passenger terminal until about 15
years ago. It had a unique outdoor luggage pickup facility that really let
our visitors know they'd come north when they had to brave -40 to get their
bags. You'd see lots of little broken off shards of vinyl luggage lying
around after the people had gone.