Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
William Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 13:39:34 -0400
I am working off an IBM Thinkpad 770X on an IBM docking system. I have just added a stand alone SCSI box to hold a HP DAT tape drive, Sony CD-RW, and an IBM hard drive (DNES 318350).  The tape and cd are working. I am unable to format the hard drive. I called Partition Magic and they told me PM will not work with a "removable drive".  When I  check the hard drive with the IBM Drive Fitness program, the drive is recognized and checks OK.  However, I can't fdisk from the IBM Drive Fitness. I have copied all the files from the Drive Fitness onto another start up disk, and then I can at least boot up with SCSI support, but I still can't recognize my new hard disk under FDISK. (Although I am booting up with SCSI Support, I am getting error messages from lines 17 - 22 in Config.sys, relating to the SCSI drivers.)

My config.sys is as follows:

[menu]
MENUITEM=SCSI, SCSI and ATA support
MENUITEM=ATA, ATA support only
MENUDEFAULT=SCSI, 20

[COMMON]
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=30
DEVICE=A:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=A:\DOS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 4000 /E
COUNTRY=001,,A:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS

[SCSI]
DEVICE=A:\ASPI\ASPI2DOS.SYS
DEVICE=A:\ASPI\ASPI4DOS.SYS
DEVICE=A:\ASPI\ASPI8DOS.SYS
DEVICE=A:\ASPI\ASPI8U2.SYS
DEVICE=A:\ASPI\ASPI8XX.SYS
DEVICE=A:\ASPI\DPTDDL.SYS
DEVICE=A:\ASPI\BTDOSM.SYS
DEVICE=A:\ASPI\ISPI610.SYS
DEVICE=A:\ASPI\ISPI910.SYS

[ATA]

Under Drive Fitness, the hard drive is listed as Host 0 - ID 0, the CD as Host 0 - ID 3, and the HP DAT as Host 0 - ID 5. This is my first experience with SCSI. Is there a way to check the SCSI connections under DOS (or is there a recommended utility?) I am following  the Installment guide from IBM for the UltraStar 18ES, but can't get the drive listed. By the way, the SCSI chip on the IBM 770X is the AIC-7870. Thanks.
Bill Cleveland