NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ynr Chyldz Wyld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 09:52:58 -0400
From: "Don Marcotte" <[log in to unmask]>
> If something truly has no lactose in it, does it follow that there are no
> Whey Proteins in the product?

No it does not.

> I am allergic to Whey Proteins but not
> Casein. I suspect that is not the usual state of affairs for dairy allergic
> people.

Casein IS a milk protein.  Whey is a milk protein.

Many people (myself included), are allergic to the proteins in milk, but not the sugars.  Lactose is a milk
sugar, and doesn't cause me any problems whatsoever.

I have found many commercial food products which label themselves 'non-dairy' when in fact they are only
referring to lactose, and they indeed DO have milk protein in it (usually in the form of casein or
caseinate)...

June