C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:48:28 -0400
Betty,

I found your comments to be right on...I have been thinking a lot about
these issues lately because I read "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting
Together in the Cafeteria and Other Conversations about Race" by Dr.
Beverly Tatum and met her personally for a small group talk and then
heard her speak at Millersville University (where I am a grad.
student).  Funny thing about all this is, her book is about racism and
how she defines racism as "system of advantage for whites" where we are
all "racist" if we do nothing to change the system...As my classmates
were battling over the race issues, I found myself relating her comments
to what we deal with daily having a disablility..."ableist" as opposed
to "racist" issues.  It is amazing how many comparisons there are.  I
agree with you...until the majority (able bodied) realize how the system
prevents those with disabilities from achieving the same as able bodied
folks, things won't change...

Anyone else read Tatum's book?  We could get some really lively
discussions going about it!  She was on Oprah back in January I
think...very good speaker.

Linda