BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"Callahan's Preservationeers\"" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:38:39 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/00 11:45:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I'm also against vulgarity, but that's a different thread. >>

Prissy Chrissy,

I'm happy to hear this. I'm not particularly in favor of vulgarity either,
excepting amoung siblings where it seems to be a tradition to vent ourselves
of courtesy, but there is a condition of one person's commonly used
vocabularly being another person's vulgarity. I would have to
over-demonstrate what some may consider vulgar vulgarity to make the point
but as I consider it an offense to deliberatly, as opposed to incidentaly,
gross innocent people out I will refrain. What does tend to bother me about
vulgarity is that it so often lacks originality and can get worn out and
boring too quickly. If I must have vulgarity, and sometimes it is simply
impossible to avoid, then I like it to be a complex vulgarity with a bit of
jazz to the end of it. Neither do I like vulgarity when used as a technique
of subjugation. Yet, if suddenly confronted head on by vulgarity on a bad day
I find myself quite apt to fall into using it heavily in a defensive mode of
escalating the vulgarity to a point that the first offender feels themselves
at risk for being outdone and is forced to retreat. Say, call me up and
intimate in a vulgar manner that you are going to do physical harm to someone
I care about. Years of enduring worksite vulgarity, and feeling a compulsion
to retain control of the dog pack, I have learned to either ignore it, laugh
it off, walk away, or make the vulgar uncomfortable by twisting their brains
with variations on truly sicko vulgarity. There is a middling class sense of
acceptable vulgarity which one with a bit of imagination can easily go
beyond. I don't usually do this with customers, though a few seem to get off
on it, or those with whom I wish to retain respect, particularly if they are
against vulgarity.

][<en